THE DALLES, Ore. -- Recommendations from a wheat industry task force are getting a closer look before going to a regional wheat conference.
Tammy Dennee, executive director of the Oregon Wheat Growers League, said league board members discussed the recommendations Oct. 19.
They decided to take those recommendations to all of the county meetings to be discussed further.
The Wheat Oversight Committee includes Bryan Cranston, Tom McCoy, Tim Galvin, Lisa Rietmann and Jeff Newtson. Members developed recommendations they think will further the goal of a strong wheat industry in Oregon.
* Leave both organizations -- the Oregon Wheat Growers League of Pendleton and the Oregon Wheat Commission of Portland -- where they are.
* Continue the employee structure in place.
* The Oregon Wheat Growers League should explore adding an employee to work in Salem on lobbying efforts for the wheat industry.
* Move forward with the wheat industry task force recommendation of adding two industry members to the commission.
* Ask the Oregon Grains Commission to evaluate whether it wants to stay a separate entity or combine with the Oregon Wheat Commission.
Committee members added they favor a biennial re-evaluation of the industry.
-- Dean Brickey