The 2019 Umatilla County Jackpot Lamb Competition will be held during the Umatilla County Fair in Hermiston, OR on Friday, August 9, 2019.

Entries are encouraged from anyone wanting to learn more about the quality of the lambs they are raising and the direction of their breeding programs. Both Oregon and out of state entries are welcome. Lambs need to be entered on Thursday, August 8.

This contest consists of two stages – a Live lamb Judging and a Carcass Evaluation, following the Fair closing. The Jackpot is based on a $25 entry fee, matched by sponsors supporting the contest - each entry represents a $50 Jackpot.

30 Years ago, a group of lamb growers decided to establish a competition that would evaluate the total lamb, both in live characteristics and then on their carcass value. The lambs are not shown by their owners, but secured in a lineup that allows the judge to evaluate them without any interference.

After the lambs are placed, 40% of the Jackpot money is divided among the top three placings. The lambs will then be transported to Kalapooia Valley Grass Fed Processing LLC in Brownsville, OR for processing. The carcasses will then be judged and the remaining 60% of the Jackpot monies will be paid to the top three placings.

Online Contest Entry forms are available at www.umatillacountyfair.net

Recommended for you