Producers seeking crop insurance benefits through the USDA’s Farm Services Agency have until June 1 to file a conservation certification form.

Farmers must file a Highly Erodible Land Conservation and Wetland Conservation Certification form, commonly referred to as an AD-1026, to be eligible for insurance premium subsidies.

Most producers already have a conservation compliance certification on file because it’s required to participate in other USDA programs, but specialty crop producers who aren’t otherwise involved may lack one.

According to the Portland office of the USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service, 11,029 producers in California, 2,260 in Washington, 791 in Oregon and 530 in Idaho are receiving crop insurance benefits but haven’t filed a certification form.

Producers can file a form by June 1 and work out the details of conservation plans later, Oregon NRCS spokeswoman Tracy Robillard said. Producers should contact their local county service office for more information. By filing a certification form, farmers promise they will not plant or produce a commodity on highly erodible land without following a conservation plan or system approved by NRCS. They also agree not to plant a crop on a converted wetland, or convert a wetland for that purpose.

The form is not specific to a particular crop, and it covers all land that a producer farms, according to NRCS.


Recommended for you