EUGENE, Ore. (AP) — Officials say a fire that destroyed a barn on Christmas Day was caused by someone igniting a lighter inside a fort made of hay bales.

The Eugene Register-Guard reports ( ) that the fire southwest of Eugene caused an estimated $80,000 in damage.

Dean Chappell is the fire marshal for Lane Fire Authority. He says a young man had ignited the lighter in order to see while inside the fort that had been set up in the barn. The bales caught fire, and the flames spread.

Property owner Carol Voze says the fire was pretty devastating. All of her cattle and chickens were moved to safety, but she says it will be a challenge to find new hay for the cows.

Voze declined to identify the people who were inside the barn when the fire began. She says they are very remorseful.

Recommended for you