HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) -- Fire officials had to close down a tractor pull event at the Pennsylvania Farm Show complex after carbon monoxide sickened more than two dozen people.

The Patriot-News of Harrisburg reports the Mid-Atlantic Antique Tractor Super Pull was shut down Saturday after firefighters responding to a report of a sick man recorded carbon monoxide levels four times the permissible level.

Harrisburg Bureau of Fire Battalion Chief Michael Horst says the antique tractors burning modern fuel produced dangerously high levels of carbon monoxide. He said carbon monoxide sensors carried by firefighters went off as soon as they walked in the building.

The Patriot-News report (http://bit.ly/sxTJCw ) says least 25 people were sickened by the gas. One person was treated at a hospital and released.

The state Agriculture Department is investigating the incident.

___

Information from: The Patriot-News, http://www.pennlive.com/patriotnews

Copyright 2011 The AP.

Recommended for you