* Bob Repine has been appointed to the position of acting director of the Oregon Department of Energy. Repine has been serving at the Department of Energy as administrator of the Energy Development Services Division.
* Emily Neff, of Marysville, Wash., has been chosen as the dairy ambassador of the Snohomish County Dairy Women. Shannon Rodeffer and Emily Zylstra were chosen as alternates.
* Washington State University scientist Juming Tang and the WSU Microwave Sterilization Consortium have won top honors from the Institute of Food Technologists for a groundbreaking new food preservation system. The team's Microwave Sterilization Process technology immerses the packaged food in pressurized hot water while simultaneously heating it with microwaves. This combination eliminates food pathogens and spoilage microorganisms in just five to eight minutes and produces safe foods with much higher quality than conventionally processed ready-to-eat products.
* The Oregon Sustainability Board has honored seven Oregon companies and nonprofit organizations for their commitment to sustainable business practices. Harry & David and Truitt Brothers were chosen as the winners in the large business category. Duro-Last Roofing and Gingerich Farm Products received the awards in the small business category. TEAM Klamath received a special recognition award.
* Walker Brothers farm has received an Environmental Stewardship Award from the National Potato Council for its leadership in habitat conservation and promoting practices that encourage water conservation, clean water and soil conservation. The council credited the farm's success in implementing practices that reduce pesticide usage while retaining high crop yields.
* A new class of 27 master woodland managers have graduated from Oregon State University Forestry and Natural Resources Extension. The graduates are Sarah Karr, of Corvallis; Dave Hibbs, of Corvallis; Terry Lamers, of Dallas; Ed Miller, of Falls City; Dennis Werth, of Grande Ronde; Kelly Gordon, of Monmouth; John Westall, of Monmouth; Pat Wheeler, of Monmouth; Kristin Ramstad, of Monmouth; Ben Duemling, of Rickreal; Sarah Duemling, of Rickreal; Bob Wynn, of Salem; Joe Bowersox, of Salem; Ann Walton, of Salem; Bob Feldman of Salem; Walter Perry, of Sheridan; Sam Hagglund, of Sheridan; Laurie Jensen, of Willamina; Nels Jensen, of Willamina; Claudia Beville, of Scotts Mills; Susan Yamanaka, of Salem; Mike Crabtree, of McMinnville; Etta Danzinger, of McMinnville; Debbie Ellingsworth, of Newberg; Jeral Ellingsworth, of Newberg; Terry Lane, of Newberg; and John Smith, of Sherwood.
* Evan Anderson, Kelsey Anderson, Timmy Lee Frohning, Ryan "Buddy" Furrer and Brook Schoenbachler received scholarships from the Snohomish County Dairy Women.