CFBF sues over solar project

FRESNO, Calif. -- The California Farm Bureau Federation has filed suit against the Fresno County Board of Supervisors for allowing a utility-scale solar power project to be built on prime farmland.

The Farm Bureau takes issue with the county's canceling a Williamson Act farmland-conservation contract on 90 acres of prime land to allow the solar plant, according to a news release.

The organization asserts the Williamson Act requires that a contract cancellation meet certain findings, including that it is in the public interest and that the benefits of the proposed project outweigh the farmland program's objectives.

County, feds form habitat plan

WEST SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- A Yolo County conservation agency and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service are preparing joint environmental documents for a natural habitat conservation plan.

The plan is a countywide effort to provide long-term management of natural communities, sensitive species and the habitats upon which those species depend while accommodating other uses of the land.

A comment period ends Dec. 5. Meetings will be held at 3 and 6 p.m. Monday, Nov. 7, in the Galleria Room at the West Sacramento City Hall, 1110 West Capital Ave.

Enrollment for crop aid to start

DAVIS, Calif. -- The enrollment period for aid for 2010 crop losses under the Supplemental Revenue Assistance Payments, or SURE, program will begin Nov. 14, the USDA's Farm Service Agency said.

Eligible growers include those who had a production loss of at least 50 percent of the normal production on the farm because of a qualifying natural disaster. In counties declared disaster areas, at least a 10 percent production loss triggers eligibility.

In California, counties receiving a disaster declaration in 2010 were Lassen, San Joaquin and Tuolumne. Contiguous counties, which are also eligible, were Alameda, Alpine, Amador, Calaveras, Contra Costa, Del Norte, Madera, Mariposa, Merced, Modoc, Mono, Plumas, Sacramento, Shasta, Sierra and Stanislaus.

For information, contact a local FSA office or visit .

Recommended for you