Pybus Market once a steel plant
E.T. "Tom" Pybus came from a line of blacksmiths in England and immigrated with his parents to the United States a decade or so before arriving in Wenatchee in the summer of 1911.
He worked in a blacksmith shop that became his business by 1914. The shop built delivery wagons for merchants and began metal fabrication in the 1920s. Pybus built steel spray tanks for orchardists, repaired trucks and did well making parts for construction of mid-Columbia hydropower dams in the 1930s.
The company made manhole covers for streets and a large van, refrigerated with dry ice, that hauled 10 tons of fish to California and returned with citrus fruit. During World War II, Pybus built equipment for the U.S. Navy and Army Air Corps including the first telescopic torpedo-handling crane used on destroyers.
After the war, the company built parts for the atomic works at Hanford and continued with dam, bridge, truck and farm building and machinery work.
Pybus died in 1961 at age 87. Family members continued the company until selling it to Morse Steel in 1984. Morse closed the shop in 2009.
-- Dan Wheat