Cattlemen's Beef Board CEO resigns
Longtime executive leaves post after eavesdropping episode
By CAROL RYAN DUMAS
After 17 years with Cattlemen's Beef Board, CEO Tom Ramey resigned June 29.
The resignation came just two weeks after he was reprimanded for eavesdropping on conference calls between the National Cattlemen's Beef Association and state beef council executives.
The board reprimanded Ramey and gave him six months of probation for his improper conduct but had earlier reaffirmed Ramey's status as CEO when similar allegations came to committee members' attention in February.
Because Ramey's resignation is a personal matter, the board will not comment on the issue, said Lynne Heinze, vice president of communications.
He did, however, provide a statement by Wesley Grau, chairman of the board's executive committee, stating the committee "reluctantly accepted" Ramey's resignation.
"In his role as CEO, Tom was responsible for developing and leading a team of experienced and dedicated individuals who work every day for the checkoff," Grau said.
Grau's statement also said the resignation was a personal choice by Ramey, and he thanked him for his dedication and service.
Heinze said last week that Ramey's eavesdropping was on conference calls during the time NCBA was working to restructure its board, which could have impacted the Federation of State Beef Councils and decisions on checkoff allocations.
Heinze also questioned why those calls weren't public and open.
Twenty-year CBB staff member Polly Ruhland has been asked to act as interim CEO.