Courtesy of Kuna FFA
Courtesy of Kuna FFA
Courtesy of Kuna FFA
This year at the annual Idaho FFA State Leadership Conference held at the College of Southern Idaho campus in Twin Falls, the Kuna FFA Chapter climbed to mountains of success.
It is a great honor to be recognized at the state level for achievements and hard work. This year, senior member Taylor Stephenson was elected to serve as the 2017-2018 Idaho FFA State Reporter. Only 6 students in the entire state are selected to serve the 4,500 FFA members of the state of Idaho. In addition to Taylor’s great success, 61 Kuna students proudly represented the Kuna FFA Chapter through competitions, interviews, awards and scholarships.
Leadership and Career Development Events are competitions that teach students to think critically, communicate clearly and perform effectively in a competitive job market. These contests focus on demonstrating their abilities in public speaking, decision making and knowledge of agriculture.
• Danny Schiffer: 10th High Individual in the Dairy Cattle Judging Invitational.
• 4th Place Floriculture team consisting of Hailey King, Wyatt Bell, Ty Noble and Jeni Ball.
• 1st place Conduct of Meetings Team consisting of Abby Johnson, Olivia Border, Taylor Dixon, Carter Moore, Katelyn Whittaker, Faith Vander Woude and Emily Blattner. They will go on to represent Idaho at the National Contest this fall in Indianapolis.
• 1st place Parliamentary Procedure Team consisting of Savannah Stroebel, Shyla Flavel, Katie Hettinga, Emberly Stroebel, Jeni Ball and Mason Roberts. Each team member received a $500 scholarship to attend the University of Idaho. They will go on to compete at the national level this fall in Indianapolis.
• Top 5 Parliamentarian Exam Brady Robinson and Ethan Weaver.
• 1st place Chapter Scrapbook CDE made by Jeni Ball and Luci Ashley.
• 2nd place Farm Business Management team consisting of Samuel Simper who placed first high individual, Ashton Christensen who placed 8th high individual, Ethan Weaver and Nick Brodin.
• 5th place Horse Judging Team consisting of Kailey Ludwig placing 10th high individual, Grace Wigger placing 5th high individual, Page Kretzschmar and Kayla Olson.
• 11th place Landscape/Nursery team consisting of Danny Schiffer, Hannah Berger and Makenzie Corona.
• 2nd place Agriscience Fair Project by Brady Robinson and Grace Berheim.
• Gold Ranking and 5th place National Chapter Award by JoAn Arnold and Savannah Stroebel.
• Ross Blattner won 4th place in the Prepared Speaking Contest.
• Katie Hettinga won 3rd place in the Extemporaneous Speaking Contest.
• Emily Blattner won 6th place in the Creed Speaking Contest.
• Idaho FFA State Star Farmer went to Ross Blattner.
Proficiency Awards honor members who, through their SAEs, have developed specialized skills that they can apply towards future careers.
•Ross Blattner won 1st place in Sheep Production Proficiency.
•Ty Noble won 1st place in Forage Crop Production Proficiency.
• Wyatt Bell won 1st place in the Ag Mechanics Proficiency.
•Ethan Weaver won 2nd place in the Small Animal Proficiency.
The State Degree Award is the highest award a member may apply for given by the state of Idaho. This year there were 254 out of 4,500 FFA members who received their State Degree, 12 of them were from the Kuna FFA Chapter. These students took a FFA knowledge test, parliamentary procedure test, and were interviewed based on their SAE projects.
• Luci Ashley.
• Jeni Ball.
• Ross Blattner.
• Nick Brodin.
• Jacob Fisher.
• Madeleine Fleming.
• Tahya Hughes.
• Naomi Kallmeyer.
• Talya Kessinger.
• Kailey Ludwig.
• Savannah Stroebel.
• Grace Wigger.
Scholarships by the Idaho FFA Foundation are a high honor to receive. All of the selected winners sent in applications and were judged on their SAE projects, character, grades and leadership abilities. The following students were selected to win scholarships:
• Savannah Stroebel: Sara Braasch Schmidt Washington Leadership Conference Scholarship.
• Ross Blattner: Idaho Grower Shipper Association Scholarship.
• Mason Roberts: Betaseed Scholarship and University of Idaho Kindschy-Lawrence Scholarship.
• Shyla Flavel: Idaho FFA Foundation Tractor Raffle Scholarship.
• Annie Bass: University of Idaho John & Marty Mundt Agricultural Education Scholarship.