Debris removal continues in storm-stricken Montecito

The county says it is developing a plan for removal of mud and debris from private properties.

Published on February 2, 2018 9:50AM


MONTECITO, Calif. (AP) — Despite weeks of cleanup, a large amount of material remains to be removed from areas in and around Montecito that were hit by devastating debris flows early last month.

Santa Barbara County authorities say five of 11 debris catch-basins have been cleared, amounting to about 36 percent of the needed work.

Additionally, work continues to clear channels that carry water down to the ocean. The county says many remain filled with debris and would not be able to carry storm runoff.

The county says it is developing a plan for removal of mud and debris from private properties, and for now the material can be set aside as long as it is away from creek beds and other water channels.

For now, there’s no rain in sight.



Marketplace

Share and Discuss

Guidelines

User Comments